Thursday, May 8, 2008

On Teaching and Learning

I was browsing through one of my friend's blogs when I saw an article about teaching. It brought me back the memories of being a volunteer teacher in the boondocks of Mt. Apo. Even before I graduated from college, we were already sent to UP Diliman to study subjects that are in line with teaching. We were given education units, seminars, and trainings that would equip us when we get to the areas where we were supposed to teach. I was assigned in Temporan, Magpet, North Cotabato. When I arrived in the area, I was full of hopes, determination, and ideals. I thought being a volunteer teacher was easy. I handled the four year levels of a local high school there. I taught the English subject. After a number of sessions with the students, I realized that it wasn't easy. Some of my students could barely read, and yet they were already in high school. Some could read but after reading a certain selection, they are not able tell if they understood anything. At the end of the day, they would forget all the lessons we discussed because their minds wandered on the chores they were supposed to do. They would be absent in class when it is season for the harvest of corn. They needed to help with the harvest because they are also expected by their parents to contribute to the family's income.

I was very idealistic when I graduated from college. I told myself I would really make a difference. But, there came a point in my teaching career that I wanted to quit, simply because I wasn't able to meet my own expectations, expectations of myself and of my students. I cry every night thinking that my existence in the area was not helping anybody at all. The students could not cope up with the curriculum the Department of Education wanted us to teach. It was really frustrating. However, as I was reminiscing the days that I spent with my students and in the area, for the entire year of being a teacher, I realized something. I wasn't only there to impart knowledge and teach the underserved area of Temproran, I was also there to learn. I shouldn't have attempted to be a hero when it comes to the students' education. It was enough that I tried to teach them something, sooner or later the values I taught them and even the English lessons we have discussed would be remembered by them. It was a two-way process, they learned from me, and I from them.

I learned to have a simple life; to cook without a stove, to fetch water from a well, to sleep without a single electric fan, to bear with the blackout if heavy rains occur, to leave the luxury that I had while I was in my parents' house, and lastly, to learn how other people value the lives that they have outside the "civilized" life that we have here in the city. I could still remember one of my students telling me that she does not consider their family poor, despite the fact that she has seven other siblings and that they do not have electricity nor her parents had regular income. She told me she never felt poor. As long as they are able to eat three times a day with adequate food in their table, that was enough for her. I could still remember the happy tone of her voice while she was talking about her family. I could see that she was happy despite their situation. They barely had the things that "city" students have. They are not aware of the new gadgets and the latest fad but I could clearly see in her eyes, she was happy, full of joy, if I may put it that way.

It is good to reminisce the past and learn something from it. Although we do have some regrets with the things that have happened, there will still be things that we can be thankful for, new learnings that we could use in our lives. I learned the value of contentment and simplicity from my students. I learned to give importance to what I currently have. I learned to appreciate my life better.

No comments: